1. Introduce yourself. Who are you, where are you from and what do you do in life.
I am Bastet, a Spanish rapper. I was born in the south of Spain, in the city of Jaén. I do what I like the most, music!
2. How you met H.E.R.? How did you find Hip-Hop, or how did Hip-Hop find you? Share some memories about that? When and why did you decide to make music yourself?
I discovered rap music when I was 12, when my mother gave to me my first radio-cassette and started to explore different music stations. I discovered a world of new styles like trance, dance, techno… but I loved rap music. Two years later, at 14, I began writing the first lyrics and music with a 61-key synthesizer.
I decided to make music, because I love what I do and I can embody, support and communicate a message to those who don’t dare to come out of the closet.
I’m lesbian and don’t hide my sexual orientation, as I don’t hide my dark hair, or the color of my skin, it’s one more of my features!
Since I can remember I liked women, and it has never been a problem for me.
3. What do you want to say with your music? What is your message? Can you live from your music already? What are your future goals?
My songs are about demands on society, discrimination, poverty, abuse, loneliness, love/heartbreak, and now I write songs aimed at LGBT community. Because with that lyrics I try to encourage and give support for LGBT community.
Music is the perfect way to deliver visibility, respect, tolerance and normalization.
It means everything to me, music is my life, but in these days it’s very difficult for artists to live from music.
In the future, I would like to continue enjoying what I do and convey my message to all the corners of the world, so that people can identify themselves with my lyrics. Only that!
4. In your opinion, what is the key to success?
If music reaches out the people and someone identifies himself with it and feels reflected in it: mission accomplished! That is success to me!
5. Your shout out to the other Ladies living Music.
Keep on doing music and feeling it inside your hearts! We are the energy, that keeps earth turning round and round!